- 1 cup (182 grams) Black Glutinous Rice
- 5 cups Water
- 1 small block of Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar)
- 4 Pandan Leaves, tied into knots
- 3/4 cup of Coconut Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
1. Spread the rice on a bright surface. Check for any impurities such as small pebbles, wood, and so on. This step is optional if you are confident the rice you have is clean.
2. Wash rice thoroughly – till the water runs clear. Water will have a slightly purple tint.
3. Add water, rice, pandan leaves, salt and sugar into a pot and bring it to boil for 60 minutes or till the rice splits on medium high heat. Stir occasionally to prevent rice from sticking to the pot. You can add more water if the porridge is dry and the rice has not split yet.
4. Once the porridge is done, add coconut milk. You can add more if you want the porridge creamier.
5. Serve with some coconut milk. It can be eaten warm or cold.
Recipe Courtesy: makan.ch