300-400g Pork Belly, sliced in 2cm
500g Glutinous Rice, soaked for 3-4 hours
15-20pcs Dried Chestnuts, soaked for 3-4hrs
½ Bowl Dried Shrimp, soaked for 3-4hrs
30 pcs Dried Small Mushroom, soaked in hot water for 3-4hrs.
30pcs Bamboo Leaves, Soaked overnight
10 Pcs Shallots, Sliced and fried
Shallot Oil from frying shallot
String / Raffle String
Marinate For Pork Belly
1.5 TBSP Oyster Sauce
½ TBSP Light Sauce
1.5 TBSP Dark Soya Sauce
1 TBSP Five Spice Powder
½ Tsp Sesame Oil
½ Tsp Shao Xing Wine
½ Tsp White Pepper
Sauce For Rice
2.5 TBSP Oyster Sauce
2.5 TBSP Dark Sauce
1.5 TBSP Light Soya Sauce
½ TBSP Sesame Oil
½ TBSP White Pepper
Method (1 day in advance)
- Rehydrate bamboo leaves by soaking in tap water and changing water every 2hrs for 3-4 times. After 2 rounds of 3 rounds of changing water, use a wet cloth to wipe both side of each leave. Continue soaking until the next day right before using. Drain water off before using.
- Soak Glutinous Rice, Chestnuts, Dried Shrimps, Mushroom separately for 3-4hrs. Drain off all water except for mushroom and store in air tight container in fridge
- Clean and slice pork into 2cm thick, add in all the marinate and marinate it overnight.
Method (Cook ingredients on the day you want to wrap the rice dumplings)
- Squeeze out water from mushroom before cooking. Heat pan with some shallot oil, brown mushroom and add in about 1 tbsp of oyster sauce and 2-3 tablespoon of water.
- Using the same pan, roast chestnuts until a little brown but take note not to burnt it.
- Using same pan, add in 1-2 tbsp of shallot oil if pan is dry and fry the dried shrimp.
- Using the same pan, fry the rice with fried shallot for 2-3 mins, add in the sauce for rice to fry for another 3-5mins. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Using same pan, sear pork belly until 20% cooked.
- Select 2 leaves and put them in opposite directions. Discard leaves with big holes. Form bamboo leave into a cone shape.
- Fill cone with 2 tsp of rice spreading it around the cone. Put 2-3 slices of pork belly, 1 chestnut, 1tsp dried shrimp, 2-3 mushroom. Top with more rice until you reach the brim of the cone. Press down firmly with a spoon, pushing the rice from the left and right side away from the leaves. Fold leaves around the cone forming a pyramid shape. Tie with a string securely. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Cooked Bak Chang in a pot of boiling water making sure the water level covers the bak chang fully. Cook for at least 1.5hrs – 3hrs depending on the size of your bak chang. Open 1 bak chang to check if they are fully cooked, continue cooking if not cooked and check every 30mins.
- Drained your bak chang over a colander and leave to cool at least ½ a day. Store in fridge and steam at least 10-15mins before consuming.