1 Sheet of Beancurd Skin
200g Prawns (San Lor Prawns preferred for that extra crunch)
150g Minced Pork
6 Water Chestnuts (Diced thinly)
½ red onion
12 pcs of Ritz Biscuit or 5 pcs of Plain Kong Guan Cream Cracker (crushed into powder format)
¼ egg beaten for sealing the hei chor Some Rice Flour (For coating the cooked Hei Chor before frying)
2 Tbsp of Soya Sauce
¼ Tsp salt
½ Tsp Five Spice Powder
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1-2 Tbsp Corn Flour
1. Peeled and deveined prawns. Dice into small bites but do not minced as we want to be able to taste the crunchiness of the prawns after cooking.
2. Season minced pork, prawns, onion with all seasoning except corn flour and egg. Mixed them well by hand.
3. Add in beaten egg into the season mixture. Add in the crushed biscuits and mix well. Lastly add in the water chestnut and mix well. Depending on the consistency of the mixture, add in 1-2 tbsp of corn flour to the mixture to achieve a more sticky texture.
4. Marinate the mixture in the fridge for about 30mins-1hr.
5. Wipe bean curd skin with a dry cloth and cut them into length of 20cm.
6. Fill up bean curd skin with the marinated mixture lengthwise and roll up the sheet to form a roll. Trim off excess bean curd skin and seal edges with egg wash. Continue until you finish using the marinated mixture.
7. Steam on plate lay with baking paper or *glass sheet* (used to make yam cake, can be purchase at the provision shop in your wet market) for about 20-25mins or until cooked.
8. Cool down steam prawn roll completely and remove any excess water from steaming. The cooked prawn roll must cool down completely in front of a fan before storing otherwise it will turn mouldy. Keep frozen up to 1 month in freezer.
1. Take out the frozen prawn roll and defrost it in your fridge the night before cooking.
2. Cut the prawn roll into bite size and coat lightly with some rice flour before frying.
3. Heat up oil, making sure oil is hot before frying by putting in your chopstick into the oil, if it bubbles means that the oil has reach the desired temperature.
4. Add in the prawn roll and fry until golden brown. Serve with some pickle cucumber.
1. Wash and peel off skin on 1 cucumber. Remove the core of the cucumber and slice into strip. Season with ½ cup rice vinegar and ½ Tbsp sugar for 30mins with ½ chill padi. Store in fridge for 30mins and drain off all liquid before serving.
NOTE: Oil that is not hot enough will be absorb into the prawn roll resulting in soggy prawn roll. Oil that is too hot will burn the bean curd skin.