MarketFresh Recipe: Lu Rou Fan / Taiwan Braised Pork Rice
Good for 3-4 pax
250g Pork Belly (More fats preferred)
150 Minced Pork
3 Hard Boil Eggs
4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 Tsp Five Spice Powder
4 Tbsp Dark Soya Sauce
2 Tbsp Light Soya Sauce
2 Tbsp of Shao Xing Wine / Cooking Wine
30g Rock Sugar (can adjust according to own taste)
Dash of Pepper
Fried Shallot, sliced thinly (can fry a large batch and keep the balance for other dishes)
NOTE: keep the oil from frying shallot to fry the pork
Taiwan Pickled Cucumber
1 Cucumber, (remove the core)
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
½ Tsp Sesame Oil
1 Chilli Padi (Can omit if you don’t take heat)
1. Slice pork belly thinly. It will be easier to slice if it is a little frozen.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp shallot oil, when the pan is hot, add in the pork belly, stir fry to force out the oil in the pork belly.
3. Add in 3 Tbsp water into the minced pork to loosen up the meat. Set aside.
4. Add in minced garlic and stir fry until half cooked. Add in the minced meat and continue to stir fry.
5. Season the dish with pepper, dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, five spice powder, shaoxing wine. Combined well with the meat.
6. Add in about 2 cups of water and let it simmer over small heat for about 1.5hrs. Keep checking and stirring every 5-10mins making sure the bottom
of the pan is not burnt.
7. Add in the hard boil egg 30mins after simmering together with rock sugar.
8. Cook until meat is soft and tender. Add in the fried shallot last and stir well
9. Serve over a bowl of warm rice and hard boil egg.
1. Remove the core of the cucumber. Slice into thick strip
2. Mix the sugar and salt with the sliced cucumber until all sugar melt. Store in fridge uncover over night of at least 2-3hrs.
3. Drain away the water. Season with sesame oil, rice vinegar and cut chilli
4. Serve together with Lu Rou Fan. This dish allow you to cleanse your palate in between enjoying your Lu Rou Fan.