Good for 2-3 pax
400g Squid, cleaned and cut into 2 inches
1 Tbsp Szechuan Peppercorn
1 Tbsp Black Peppercorn
1 Tbsp Salt
3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
3 Stalk of Spring Onion, Chopped
1 Large Red Chili, Sliced
1 Lime, Cut into quarter
¼ Cup Rice Flour
¼ Cup Plain Flour
- Pan fry the black and Szechuan peppercorn until fragrant, about 2-3mins. Remove from heat and grind it finely with salt. Set aside.
- Combined rice flour, plain flour and half of the salt mixture together. Coat the squid evenly with flour mixture and fry for 1min or less in medium hot oil.
- Remove oil from deep frying pan and leave about 1 tbsp in the pan. Add in the chopped garlic and fry until lightly brown, add in the chilli, ¾ of the chopped spring onion and cooked squid, mix well and off the heat.
- Serve hot with chopped spring onions, chili and the leftover salt mixture. Squeeze some lime juice just before consuming.
- Squid turns rubbery if over cooked and they usually cooked in under 1 min.
- Chili padi can be added for more heat.
- Rice flour is added to give a crispy coating.